Yes, really. The flavors are delicious together. I have been adding apple peels or cores to my soup stocks ever since.
- Apples - 3 or 4 medium, peeled (or not) and sliced in to wedges
- Onions - 1 large or 2 medium, quartered
- Squash - 1 pound cut into cubes (or more, if you like. This dish is super flexible). I prefer butternut, but pumpkin or baby bear would also be divine.
- Oil for sauteing
- Cooking liquid (veg. broth or water)
- Tarragon - the leaves from a few sprigs.
- Milk or cream (soy milk and buttermilk are both delicious choices). The amount will depend on the desired consistency of the soup.
- 1/2 cup white wine (opt. Chardonnay is lovely)
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
While the terragon adds a nice complexity to the flavor of the soup, I think cinnamon and nutmeg or mace would be a nice substitution.
The original recipe is from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.